Bi sex to chat c2c - Updating rails application
The J&F was completed by 1864 to Franklin to reach the oil regions.
Written by PAUL STUMPFF This is a brief, incomplete and evolving history of NYC's Oil City branch and the Franklin Division, including predecessors, close relations, later history and ending.
Sources of information include Fred Houser's series in "Shenango/604" newsletter of Shenango-Pymatuning Ry.
Historical Society; Mercer County History ; copy of the 1914 Stockholders Report of the New York Central detailing the history of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern; notes from Al Buchan and Nate Clark.
The Jamestown & Franklin was incorporated in April 5, 1862 to build from Jamestown, PA to Franklin.
Later, Amasa Stone was vilified by his involvement of the construction of the second Ashtabula Bridge that bridge collapsed in 1876 with great loss of life after 11 years service.
Since the E&P used the CP&A to get from Girard, PA, to Erie and financial obligations the CP&A held; mutual trackage rights were given to the J&F to operate between Jamestown and Girard Jct to connect with CP&A.
One day, J&F ran a round trip from Jamestown to Stoneboro (later Franklin); the next day the same crew and locomotive did a round trip from Jamestown to Girard Jct. Further routes into the oil region were accomplished in the 1868 formation of the Junction RR Co. RR and Connection RR Co in the Franklin/Oil City area.
Jamestown, PA at that time was the southern terminus of the Erie & Pittsburgh.
Original intent was to tap the coal reserves in eastern Mercer County for commercial markets and to fuel the Cleveland, Painesville & Ashtabula locomotive fleet.
Jamestown allowed a routing through a water gap between the Shenango and Little Shenango Rivers and a relatively low grade between the Little Shenango and Sandy Creek watersheds.
The CP&A in 1852 when it completed its Cleveland to Erie route became part of the first rail route between New York City and Chicago, even though all the lines involved were semi-independent.